“The OU would like a central “podcasting” platform” – the proposal statement for a new project I’ve been asked to investigate.
We already have a podcast platform, which started out life as a research piece and has grown organically with additional features and has become an important part of our AV distribution, so now we’d like to ensure we can offer a robust, scalable, maintainable system that we can rely upon.
So far I’ve been gathering requirements, which look reasonably simple (yes, I’m still at the hopelessly naive stage of this project)
- transcode uploaded assets where appropriate
- host video for disemmination in various ways
- embed snippets for use in other websites
- RSS syndication
- own website
- publish to itunes, youtube and other social channels,
- including supporting artwork
- support for ePub/iBooks would be nice
- Fully accessible with support for AD, CC, transcripts
- APIs for custom extensions
And there’s the obvious “must support mobile”, “multiple file formats”, “progressive download/pseudo-streaming etc”, “single sign on with rest of OU”.
It could be that we’ll improve our own system, but we’d also like to take a look at “the market” and see what else is out there. I can read reports and Google with appropriate search keywords, but there’s nothing like a recommendation so ….
What do you use for your AV platform?